Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ohio State Fair

Benjamin and I decided to take a day and go to the state fair as a last Hoorah before medical school started. We picked the perfect day to go! It was perfect weather. It seamed like it was going to rain all day, but it never did. It was a welcome relief from the heat wave we had been having.  It was $5 Dollar Day (normally $10 or $12 a person, I think) and if you bought something from O’Reilly Auto Parts, you got a ticket free. So, we picked up something we needed for our car anyway, and got in for a whopping total of $5!!! (Can you tell we are living on a tight budget?)

IMG_0800

Even though we saved money getting in, we blew it all on fair food. I think Benj has that look on his face because he is excited to try a funnel cake, but unsure if it is really worth $6 and unsure if he really wants all the calories that come with fried fair food.

IMG_0803

It was worth it.

IMG_0760

We did refrain from Donut Burgers, though.

IMG_0731

…and deep fried Buckeye’s (a Buckeye is a chocolate peanut butter treat that resembles the Ohio Buckeye nut. Click here to see a buckeye recipe on my food blog.) We also got a delicious lamb gyro to share and I got a frozen slice of cheesecake on a stick dipped in chocolate. Yum!

IMG_0777

We got to see a giant cow and her calf made entirely out of BUTTER! This cow was huge.

IMG_0737

There was also a giant chocolate pig and her little piglets.

IMG_0738

IMG_0742

There were a lot of really neat carved fruits and vegetables.

IMG_0755

I am a sucker for candy. I LOVE candy stores.

IMG_0756

IMG_0734

I have a funny story to tell you about pies. I love any and every desert. Benjamin loves fruit pies. It’s one of the only desserts he loves. So we saw this sign in the home and craft building that said “Pillsbury Pie Crust Bake-Off: Open Judging” So we went in and sat down. There were nine or ten lovely looking pies set out on the table. We were excited because open judging means the audience gets to taste the pies and cast a vote, right? WRONG! But we found out the hard way. The announcer guy came out and started describing all the pies. Then the professional judges cadm out and introduced themselves. Then they tried all the pies. Then they left and the announcer guy came back out and blabbered on about the pies some more. Then the professional judges came out and tasted them again. And then it hit me: “We don’t get to taste the pies, and every one in the room are people who entered a pie. We are the only ones who are sitting here who haven’t entered a pie!” Then the daughter of one of the contestants leaned over to me and asked me if I entered a pie. I said “No” and so she asked Benj if he entered a pie and he said, “No”. She gave us this look like, “You guys are really weird for sitting here for an hour when you didn’t even enter a pie.” And it had been almost an hour! I mumbled something about how I just wanted to see all the pretty pies and see who wins. But we all know that I didn’t care at all who won or what they looked like. I just wanted to taste those babies! But Benj still didn’t believe that we didn’t get to taste the pies. So he asked the girl if we get to taste them. She said, “No. The winning pies need to go on display, but you can have some of ours if we don’t win.” So we promptly got up and walked out followed by strange looks from everyone else. We felt so dumb for sitting with the pie contestants for an hour and leaving before the winner was even announced. Maybe next year I will enter my own pie!

IMG_0735

IMG_0758

There was some random pink panther guy that I walked right up to and got a picture with.

IMG_0764

There were also lots of interesting people roaming the streets.

IMG_0773

There was a cool sand sculpture.

IMG_0769

IMG_0765

We saw my co-worker Billy at the fair with his wife. He was nice to tell us about all the fun things to do and take some pictures of us together by the OHIO tree.

IMG_0796

I guess I am destined to have weird mascots. First Diggers, now Brutus the Buckeye???

IMG_0798

I love this picture! Hahaha! You can’t see it, but at the bottom the poster says, “I am a Foodie.”

IMG_0799

You can’t forget the animals!

IMG_0781

HorsesIMG_0782

IMG_0793

Sharks!!!

IMG_0795Bunnies

IMG_0774

Sheep and Lambs

IMG_0794

Chickens and chicks.

I didn’t get any cows or pigs. I just don’t really like cows and pigs. I guess the chocolate pig and the butter cow count.

We were exhausted by the end, but we had a really fun day.

3 comments:

Catherine Stewart said...

Fun stuff! It sounds like you are having a great time there in Ohio! Random fact...I saw a news report or some kind of special on TV about the lady who carves those butter cows. It was rather impressive to watch her make them. :)

Gran Linda said...

The pie part was hysterical! So funny. Glad you are having such a good time. love you!

Lyd Stew said...

Some might see a chocolate pig and ask why, I see a chocolate pig and ask why not? :) And a cow of butter... I hope the room was refrigerated. That would be a sad melt down. Your pie story was the best thing I've heard all day. That is SOOOO something I would do... is anything in life free? Benj and I are just still clinging to that hope. So glad you guys went though- looked like fun!