Sunday, August 26, 2012

Taco Truck Tour

Benj and I went on a tour with a group called Columbus Food Adventures. They specialize in guided van tours where each pit stop is to taste and learn about food. They have dessert tours, meat tours, ethnic food tours, and tours of specific places like The Short North and German Village. We were able to get cheap tickets for their taco truck tour.

First off, we piled into this van:

IMG_3158

And we drove off the the West Side (West Broad area) to where the highest concentration of taco trucks are located. We got to stop at 5 trucks that were hand picked to be the best of the best. At each truck, we got to sample some food and learn about the truck, the cuisine served, what part of Mexico it is based from, and just the general how-to’s of taco truck logistics (which salsa is hottest, what certain things on the menu are, what things are usually really hot, which things are most authentic…).

At the first place we got to sample a delicious chorizo taco. I loved the avacado salsa at this truck!

IMG_3156

IMG_3157

At the second truck, we got to try a Baracoa Gordita and some Horchata

 IMG_3160

IMG_3164

IMG_3161

IMG_3162

At the third place we got to sample the delicious rotisserie pork called al pastor. This was Benjamin’s favorite stop.

IMG_3165

IMG_3166

IMG_3168

At the fourth truck we got to taste a Oaxacan (pronounced Wa-ha-kan) dish called Tlayudas. It came out looking kind of like a pizza. The base was a huge toasted tortilla, with a bean sauce, cheese, avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, and two different kinds of meat. It was huge and we each got a fourth of the pie.

IMG_3172

We also got a guava aqua fresca. It was delicious. The annoyed look on my face was because the wind had just blown the last bit of my food onto the pavement.

IMG_3171

I totally forgot to get a picture of the last truck. We stopped and got these delicious Mexican icy slushy things that I can’t remember the name. They were so good that we both ate ours before snapping a pic. I got coconut and Benj got prickly pear (tuna, as it is called in Mexico). Our last stop was to walk around a Mexican grocery store. We bought some corn tortillas and I bought a popsicle that turned out to have chilies and chili powder in it. One bite and I was done. Haha. I thought it was pineapple flavored. I was wrong.

It was such a fun trip and we have been dying to go back to one of the truck since the tour. Everything was amazingly delicious and I highly recommend this tour to anyone and everyone!

4 comments:

Damon said...

Way cool

Gran Linda said...

Awwwww, the benefits of living in a big city! I would love doing some of the stuff you two get to do?

Momma Kaye said...

My mouth is watering just reviewing your post! When Ben and I come to visit, please book a tour for us, would you?

AnK Romney said...

I am too nervous to try these trucks, but I ALWAYS hear the best ones are SO good! Looks Delish!