Thursday, February 17, 2011

Boise Trip

In January Benjamin had an interview for medical school. It was with the University of Washington, but they had regional interviews so we only had to travel to Boise. While Benjamin was at the interview I checked out of the hotel and went to the Discovery Center of Idaho a couple blocks away. Later on I found out that my mother used to take me and my little brother there when we were little all the time.  Benjamin’s interview was really close, too so he was able to walk over once the interview was over. We stayed there until it closed. That night we wandered around down town and ended up eating at a little Basque restaurant. Benjamin felt pretty good about the interview but we wont find out if he gets accepted until the end of March or first part of April. It is our top choice, so we are really hoping and praying that they liked him.

Here are some pictures from the Discovery Center:

IMG_5471

Benjamin is making his own remote control car thingy.

IMG_5472

IMG_5468

This big robot arm spelled my name with blocks.

IMG_5476

They had a bunch of exhibits about light and color.

IMG_5475

 

IMG_5478

IMG_5482

At this exhibit you can manipulate light with different shapes and colors of prisms and mirrors. 

IMG_5488

This was a chair that let you experiment with pulley systems. You could pull your self up to the top of this big wooden structure.

IMG_5492

In this exhibit you could make different balls float above this strong air stream. The whiffle balls floated the highest.

IMG_5494

The big yellow thing behind Benj and me is a huge dish shaped thing. There is one across the big room opposite from this one. When you stand facing the dish and whisper, you can hear it loud and clear on the other side of the room facing the opposite dish. It’s pretty cool.

IMG_5496

IMG_5500

I am not sure what I am looking at, but I am sure it was cool.

IMG_5501

IMG_5505

IMG_5509

IMG_5517

IMG_5523

I am just taking a rest on a bed of nails. Comfy. They actually don’t hurt at all.

There were over 500 interactive exhibits that kept us entertained all day. We’ll post it once Benj hears whether or not he gets accepted.

3 comments:

jess and seth said...

We sure hope they accept you guys--we'll be praying for you!

That looks like a really cool museum. I particularly love how Benj looks so serious in all the pictures--like he's studying for a test or something . . . :)

Gran Linda said...

looks like a fun place to take kids!

Bethany L. said...

How fun! Next time I'm in Boise, I'm totally going their! Also, good luck with U of W! We hope Boogy gets in!